"Dusk (4)," 2006
Oil on canvas
Courtesy of the artist and Winkleman Gallery, New York
Estimated value: $2800
Starting bid: $700
About the piece:
Based on a news image in an article about border towns.
Joy Garnett studied painting at L'Ecole Nationale Superieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris and received her MFA from The City College of New York. She appropriates news and documentary images from the Internet and re-invents them as paintings. Her subject is both the content of these found images and the digital image itself as cultural artifact in an Internet-driven culture. Recent exhibitions include solo shows at Winkleman Gallery, NY (2008) and "Strange Weather" at the National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC (2007), and group exhibiions "That Was Then...This Is Now," P.S.1/MoMA, and "Image War" organized by the Whitney Museum of American Art (2006). She is a 2004 recipient of a grant from the Anonymous Was a Woman foundation, and currently serves as arts editor for the journal Cultural Politics. She is represented by Winkleman Gallery, New York City.
Join Our Mailing List:
- Iraqi Maqam: Repertoire and Variation with Amir ElSaffar (Spring 2014)
- Arabic Language Classes: Modern Arabic Language Level II (Spring Session 2014)
- (CLASS FULL) Arabic Language Classes: Modern Arabic Language Level I (Spring 2014) (CLOSED)
- (NOW OPEN) Modern Arabic Language Level I (Spring Session) NEW CLASS
- Arab Vocal Traditions with George Ziadeh (Spring 2014)
- Arab Rhythm & Percussion with Zafer Tawil (Spring 2014)
New York, NY 10004
(646) 732 3261
Alwan for the Arts is accessible to people with disabilities. Please call 646 732 3261 in advance, or, buzz at the door to arrange a ramp.
© 2014 Alwan for the Arts
Hosting donated by:Marefa.org, the Arabic Encyclopedia