Sun, November 3, 2013 7:00 pm at Alwan for the Arts
Charbel Rouhana: Solo 'Oud Concert with the Alwan Ensemble
Join Alwan for the Arts in celebrating the amazing talents of highly acclaimed Lebanese composer, singer and musician, Charnel Rouhana in an evening of musical enchantment. One of the few masters who helped shape the techniques of the oud, Charbel Rouhana is an innovative and inimitable artist who is certain to deliver an evening of refined enjoyment.
Charbel is a world renowned instrumentalist, his reputation and international performances have allowed him to become an ambassador for Lebanese and Middle Eastern music and a respected authority in the musical world.
Tickets: $25 General | $20 for Students, Members and Seniors available at the door or online (buy now)
Doors open at 6:30 pm
To listen to Charbel Rouhana, Click here
About Charbel Rouhana
Charbel pursued his music education at the Université Saint-Esprit de Kaslik, obtaining his diploma in Oud instrumentation in 1986 and his M.A. in Musicology in 1987. He has since established a new method in oud playing, which was published in seven volumes and adopted by the National Conservatory of Music in Lebanon and the Faculty of Music in the Holy Spirit University, where he has been teaching since 1986.
An inventive but thoughtful and imaginative player, Rouhana has composed various compositions for the famous dance group “Caracalla” and has performed with Marcel Khalife in various concerts and tours. He has also accompanied Fairuz, Magida El Roumi, Julia Boutros, Hariprasad Chaurasia in numerous performances and in 2007 he formed the Beirut Oriental Ensemble.
Awards:Winner of the Murex d’Or for the year 2000/Musician of the Year and First Prize at the 1990 Hirayama, Japan competition for the composition “Hymn of Peace”.CDs:
- 1997: Salamat
- 1998: Mada (with Hani Siblini)
- 2000: Mazaj Alani
- 2003: The Art of Middle Eastern Oud (out in Lebanon under the title Vice Versa)
- 2004: Sourat
- 2006: Dangerous
- 2008: Handmade
- 2010: Doux Zen Oud Duet with Ellie Khoury
- 2008: Charbel Rouhana & the Beirut Oriental Ensemble: The "Handmade" Concert
Alwan's music program is made possible, in part, with public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in Partnership with the City Council.
Last updated: 2014-01-06 14:26:03
Join Our Mailing List:
- Iraqi Maqam: Repertoire and Variation with Amir ElSaffar (Spring 2014)
- Arabic Language Classes: Modern Arabic Language Level II (Spring Session 2014)
- (CLASS FULL) Arabic Language Classes: Modern Arabic Language Level I (Spring 2014) (CLOSED)
- (NOW OPEN) Modern Arabic Language Level I (Spring Session) NEW CLASS
- Arab Vocal Traditions with George Ziadeh (Spring 2014)
- Arab Rhythm & Percussion with Zafer Tawil (Spring 2014)
New York, NY 10004
(646) 732 3261
Alwan for the Arts is accessible to people with disabilities. Please call 646 732 3261 in advance, or, buzz at the door to arrange a ramp.
© 2014 Alwan for the Arts
Hosting donated by:Marefa.org, the Arabic Encyclopedia