Sun, October 31, 2010 11:30 pm at Alwan for the Arts
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS:
First annual New York Arab & South Asian Short Video Slam (NYA&SA SVS)
Deadline: October 31, 2010
Alwan and 3rd i are soliciting new, short videos (produced 2006 or later) by South Asian and Arab directors OR videos about those regions and their diasporas by filmmakers of all backgrounds. Videos of all genres are welcome, including conceptual and political video art. Please limit submissions to those with 20 minutes or less Total Running Time.
The 2010 NYA&SA Short Video Slam will present the best in recent short videos that increase awareness of the creative vitality and sociopolitical realities of North Africa, the Middle East, Iran, South Asia, and their diasporas. If selected, you will be notified by November 20, 2010. The NYA&SA Short Video Slam will take place in early December 2010 at the Alwan for the Arts Space at 16 Beaver Street in Lower Manhattan.
Alwan for the Arts & 3rd i NY have been co-presenting monthly film screenings and a combined film festival for over 3 years. Screenings were once held at Two Boots Pioneer Theater, where budget friendly pizza and beer created a lively space for filmmakers and film enthusiasts to interact. Recently, our screenings have been held at Tribeca Cinemas. Though successful in their own right, we’re itching to get back to our roots by providing an informal venue to showcase local independent and experimental pieces that are aesthetically, politically, theoretically and/or technically innovative as well serve as a meeting place filmmakers and film aficianados.
Participating filmmakers will benefit from the feedback of the diverse and engaging audience Alwan & 3rd i NY has cultivated over the last few years of intense programming. Well versed in the history, languages, and cultures of the North African, Middle Eastern, and South and Central Asian regions, our audience thrives on healthy debate and cross-cultural learning.
To submit please include:
1) DVD or VHS (NTSC or PAL) preview copy
2) Synopsis, running time, year, country and year of production
3) Director bio, cast/crew list
4) Screening history, Awards
5) All possible screening formats available
6) Contact email, phone #, website if available
7) If above info provided on CD, please also include film stills at 300 dpi as tiff or jpeg as part of the EPK
Video Slam Submissions
ATTN: Melissa Forstrom
Alwan for the Arts
16 Beaver Street, 4th Floor
New York NY 10004
Materials will be returned if prepaid from USA, self addressed envelope is provided.
For questions or to submit electronically email: email@example.com
We would also greatly appreciate your support in disseminating this call within your networks.
Last updated: 2010-10-17 10:37:10
Join Our Mailing List:
- Beginner Oud with Zafer Tawil (Fall 2014)
- Arab Rhythm & Percussion with Zafer Tawil (Fall 2014)
- Arabic Script Calligraphy: Thuluth - Letter by Letter with Elinor Aishah Holland - CANCELED
- Spoken Levantine Arabic: Level II: FULL
- Spoken Levantine Arabic: Level II
- Written & Spoken Levantine Arabic: Level I: 2 SPACES LEFT
New York, NY 10004
(646) 732 3261
Alwan for the Arts is accessible to people with disabilities. Please call 646 732 3261 in advance, or, buzz at the door to arrange a ramp.
© 2014 Alwan for the Arts
Hosting donated by:Marefa.org, the Arabic Encyclopedia