Sun, March 2, 2014 3:30 pm at Alwan for the Arts
Semester: March 2-April 27, 2014 (No Classes on March 23)
4 & 8 Session Packages Available for Group Instruction
Private Instruction Available
ARAB VOCAL TRADITIONS
This class by Palestinian singer and 'oudist George Ziadeh will focus on folk, tarab and hymnal traditions of the Arab world. Students of any level are invited to discover melodies using the maqam modal system, where they will be trained to hear and sing quartertones essential to these modes. These melodies will then be worked into improvisations and students will learn to ornament them in the characteristic styles of Arab vocalists. Students will also be trained to increase their vocal flexibilites and control and learn to transition more seamlessly between vocal registers.
Private instruction with George Ziadeh is also available.
About the Instructor: George Ziadeh is a renowned Palestinian musician and vocalist, who studied ‘oud with Simon Shaheen and classical singing and voice with Youssef Kassab, with whom he has toured extensively across the country. George has performed as a soloist and as a member of various ensembles including the Alwan Ensemble and the University of Chicago’s Middle East Music Ensemble with Issa Boulos. He has toured at the University of Colorado (Boulder), Alwan for the Arts, and the United Nations, and lectures annually at the Columbia University Department of Ethnomusicology. In 2008, George was a featured soloist and ensemble performer in the Brooklyn Maqam Festival of Arab Music. From 1995 to 1997, he taught at the Edward Said National Conservatory of Music in Ramallah and Birzeit University. George is considered an authority in maqam and Arab classical repertoire.
Private Instruction: $75/hour
Group Instruction Pricing*
|4 classes||$80 ($20/class)|
|8 classes||$140 (7 Classes+1 Class for Free)|
Registration for group packages open until 1st day of classes
- 5% Discount with early enrollment/payment (Feb 24)
- 5% Discount for students who sign up to volunteer at Alwan
- Discounts do not apply to private lessons
Group Instruction Policies
- *Only one trial class may be taken per student. If a student decides to enroll in a package of classes, the trial session will count as the first lesson of the package and its price will be deducted from the overall cost.
- Students enrolling in a single class or package of 4 or 8 may choose to attend any session throughout the semester.
- If a student decides to enroll in a package after taking one single trial class, the trial session will count as the first class of the package and its price will be deducted from the overall cost.
- Combination packages available and customizable to student’s preferences (e.g. 4 classes of Arab Rhythms & Percussion + 4 classes Arab Vocal Traditions=$140)
- Class will be held so long as a minimum number of students is met by the end of the registration period.
To register and pay for classes or private lessons for the spring semester, use this REGISTRATION FORM or contact:
Program Coordinator, Arabic Language Instructor
Alwan for the Arts - 16 Beaver St, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10004 | Tel:917-396-8052
Early Registration Deadline: Feb 24, 2014*
Final Registration Deadline: March 2, 2014
Students may attend classes without registering by paying the "single" class price of $20 by PayPal (link), but please check the website to confirm that class is meeting on the day you decide to attend, and, if possible, email to let us know when you plan to attend.
Payment can be made through the registration form (PayPal), or by check or money order made payable to Alwan Foundation.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
Please feel free to email Kirsten Beck at anytime at the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions related to language classes and music instruction at Alwan.
Alwan Signature Courses
Stay tuned for Alwan Signature Courses designed by artists, musicians, and cooks that provide unique perspectives on Arabic art, language, and culture.
Last updated: 2014-02-13 12:36:02
Join Our Mailing List:
Classes are currently being scheduled. Please check back soon for updates.
New York, NY 10004
(646) 732 3261
Alwan for the Arts is accessible to people with disabilities. Please call 646 732 3261 in advance, or, buzz at the door to arrange a ramp.
© 2017 Alwan for the Arts
Hosting donated by:Marefa.org, the Arabic Encyclopedia